Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday's just not for me!

So this morning, 5 am early morning I should add, I decided to drive to Macys to buy me a coat.

Honestly, I never do Black Friday. I'm one that chooses to pay the extra cents or dollars to shop on a normal day. Plus, I've read several articles that say many people end up spending more on Black Friday than shopping on any other day.

Anyways, yesterday, we went to the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, and after walking in the 35 degree cold weather, I was inspired to buy myself a coat for the long weekend.

So I googled coats. Found one that I liked and decided to partake in Macys Black Friday. And so this is how it went... I arrived around 5-ish and it was already PACKED. It took me probably 15 minutes to find parking. I went to Macys, looked at the coat I liked, tried on others, and couldn't decide. Then I remembered I had seen a nice, brown coat at the Gap. So I ran to see if they had it in my size, and what do you know, they did! AND everything at Gap was 50% off!

Unfortunately, I did not like the coat. But saw sweaters that I thought Gerson would like. I then realize that the line to pay was extremely long. I don't even know how exactly to describe the length of the line, but it was too long. Still, I decided to buy those items for my man.

After 40 minutes of waiting and waiting in line, I put the sweaters on the closest shelf and left. I just couldn't believe that after 40 minutes I got no where. I was so upset that I had actually waited that long! I normally put things back where they belong. I've done retail, so I don't like it when people just throw things they don't want wherever they can. But I'm guilty. I did it today, cause I just couldn't believe the time I had wasted, or even the time that I could have used to sleep since I seem to get so little of that.

I went back to Macys to get my coat. And once more, I stood in line. Waited and waited and wondered "Is this $50 coat REALLY worth it?!" And my answer kept on being no. But I decided to wait since the line wasn't half as bad as the one at Gap. When I got to the counter, I gave her my debit card and they declined it! I wanted to scream "the money is there!" But I'm sure everybody tells that line, so I asked her to try again. By the fourth try, it was finally accepted.

I walked out with my coat at 9am feeling exhausted and unhappy. I just thought 4 hours of my Black Friday experience was totally not worth it.

I don't want to bash anybody who loves Black Friday. I love shopping and bargains! I really do. But after that experience, I came to the conclusion that Black Friday is definitely not for me. I don't like the pushing, the crowds, the attitudes, and the craziness. Maybe one day that I want to purchase an expensive appliance or electronic device, I will do it again, but for now, I will make sure to stay away from Black Friday and shop on other days.

Maybe I'll give Cyber Monday a try this year... ;)

0 comments: