Monday, August 8, 2011

Building A Family.


This weekend I did something I had wanted to do in a while.

I drove to Houston and stayed with my great-grandmother to spend time with her and kind of interview her. I wanted her to tell me about her childhood, her love story, and how she moved to the States from Mexico. I knew some, but I wanted to record them to eventually type and print it for my children.

Ever since Gerson and I got into baby-planning mode, we're so interested in knowing more about our family's background. A good friend of mine once told me that entering marriage was like two aliens from two different planets arriving to a new planet.

Gerson and I come from two different countries, culture, and families, so it definitely felt like that for a bit. Although sometimes there was confusion and conflict because of things being done the way my family does it, or the way I was raised, we've learned to not only embrace but love each others culture. We have decided to include the things we liked from our previous planet into our new planet ... And the things we don't want, we just don't include.

Which is why I needed to meet with my great-grandmother. There is so much of her in me. All of her stories just made me think how God watched over her and my great-grandfather all these years to build what is now my beautiful family.

I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to do this. I'm grateful that my parents had the wisdom to guide, teach, direct, and correct us. I'm also grateful that my in-laws raised such a good man. Now more than ever do I understand that even the decisions I make right now can affect my children ... and maybe even my grandchildren.

HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!!!!

1 comments:

geo said...

Wonderful post, Adri! I've done that with my grandma and I wrote it down, but it would have been nice to record her voice. Next time I see her, I'm going to do that! May God grant them many more years of healthy and fulfilling lives.